Sunday, October 28, 2012

Brenda Lichman






I love the design and detail that ceramicist Brenda Lichman puts into her work. She is fascinated by the process of ceramics and loves leaving her individual touch and personality on each piece she creates. I was drawn to them because I am currently creating pieces that have some wavy edges, and I love how she handles this detail in her work. She says in her statement on artaxis.org that she adds thick slips to the outer surface of her pieces, which give them soft fluid contours. After seeing the effect that this has on the finished piece, I think I would like to try this technique in my own work and see if I like it. I also love the coloring on her vessels, which is something I am still thinking about for the set I am making right now in class. I have the overall design of the pieces in my mind, but I am unsettled on a color scheme or specific glaze... but I love the one directly above this paragraph... such lovely reds and browns. 

Brenda is currently working as a studio potter and teaching in Wichita, Kansas Check out more of her work on http://www.artaxis.org/ceramics/lichman_brenda/brenda_lichman.html. (All images from artaxis.org).

No comments:

Post a Comment