Monday, November 12, 2012

Let your light so shine...










Beautiful, beautiful Light Sculptures by Margaret O'Rorke

She says of her work, "The translucency of fine high-fired porcelain has led me...to throw forms which give light.These ideas stem from the nature of the material, forms that can grow from the potter's wheel, the process of firing and a sense of adventure with light and space."
So, most of her work is thrown with translucent porcelain, allowing it to shine forth the brilliant light that she places within or behind her sculptures. I love this idea of letting the light shine out of such delicately and artistically crafted objects and vessels. It reminds me of how we, as vessels created in the image of the Lord, have been delicately and artistically crafted... and we too were created to shine - to reflect the light of Father into the surrounding darkness of this world. 

I would love to create works that represent this important truth so brilliantly. That is why I selected Margaret's sculptures for this week's posting. I am searching for inspiration for my new project, and her work certainly inspires me to create something beautiful in form and design that abstractly conveys a specific message or concept. I originally wanted to create some type of sculpture that incorporated light... and now having found her work, I feel motivated to pursue that idea further.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify 
your Father in heaven." Matthew 5:16

No comments:

Post a Comment